School Safety Experience
For more than two decades school districts across the nation have utilized the Community Safety Institute's (CSI) School Safety Services. Over the years CSI staff has excelled at conducting school safety assessments and vulnerability studies and in developing national instructional programs which have provided training to hundreds of schools and thousands of educators.
The CSI is one of the country’s most respected Safe School organizations. The developer of the nationally known RAIN Model for classroom conflict, CSI offers over twenty school safety curriculums, has produced several national initiatives, conducted hundreds of school safety audits and assessments.
CSI publications include: Creating A Safer School (2001); Countering Terrorism: Protecting Our Schools and Communities (2002) and School Safety 101 (2010, 2011, and 2012). CSI also contributed to a Community Oriented Guide to School Safety published by the Department of Justice (2003), the School Crisis Response series and Pandemic Planning for Schools specifically for Education Department ERCM grantees (2005).
CSI is the developer of the Schools and Universities Safety Resource Center for the Bureau of Justice Assistance-funded White House School Safety Initiative (2006), founded www.UniversityCrimeWatch.org, and developed a Protecting Colleges and Universities training course.
School Safety Services
- Facilitate Town Hall School Safety Meeting
- Develop a District-level Threat Assessment Team and protocols and policies
- Develop Campus Safety Teams with duties and responsibilities
- Conduct Stakeholder Meetings
- Conduct Safety and Security Assessments of all campuses
- Review current crisis response plans for the district and all campuses
- Review current District Safety policies and procedures
- Review SRO program or law enforcement partnerships
- Conduct stakeholder surveys
- Provide distance learning courses for teachers, staff and administrators
- Provide Facilitated training for students, teachers, staff and administrators
Facilitate Town Hall School Safety Meeting
CSI staff will coordinate with district officials to design and facilitate a Town Hall Safety meeting for school stakeholders. Typical agenda items include: proactive safety measures, current safe school practices and future security endeavors.
Develop a District-level Threat Assessment Team and protocols and policies
CSI staff will work with district officials to develop a comprehensive, district –level threat assessment team. This inter-disciplinary team will be empowered to identify, analyze and respond to threats against students, district personnel and facilities.
Develop Campus Safety Teams with duties and responsibilities
CSI will provide training to campus staff members n the roles and responsibilities of campus safety teams both during normal operating conditions and when crisis response plans need to be implemented.
Conduct Safety and Security Assessments of all campuses
CSI staff will conduct safety and security assessments of all school district campuses and facilities. CSI personnel will utilize their proprietary 100 plus page assessment document to assess items including but not limited to: safety, security, personnel, drills, training, policies and procedures.
Review current crisis response plans for the district and all campuses
CSI staff will review all campus and district crisis response plans including procedures for common practices such as: lockdowns, shelter-in-place, evacuations, on-site reunion sites and off-site reunification locations.
Review current District Safety plans, policies and procedures
CSI will review the overall district safety level plans including staffing of safety positions, schedules of drills, training of staff, protective policies for volunteers and parents and safety instruction and resources for substitutes.
Review SRO program or law enforcement partnerships
CSI will conduct a review of the district’s School Resource Officer (SRO) program or local law enforcement partnership or agreement including the contract, MOU, personnel, schedules and staffing levels.
Conduct stakeholder surveys
CSI will develop and work with the district to distribute a survey to school safety stakeholders. Once completed, CSI staff will analyze the results and report out to the district.
Provide distance learning courses for teachers, staff and administrators
CSI has developed an e-learning portal which provides distance learning courses to educators of all levels. Participants in the CSI Academy can choose from courses such as:
- Creating a Threat Assessment Team
- Campus Safety Team Duties and Responsibilities
- Crisis Response Planning
- Protecting School Events
- Assessing the Risk in Your District
- Creating a Culture of Safety
- School Resource Officer Fundamentals
Provide Facilitated training for students, teachers, staff and administrators
CSI offers a wide variety of facilitated school safety trainings for students, teacher, staff and administrators. Some of our courses include:
1. Creating a Safer School (CASS)
2. Active Shooter for Educators
3. Campus Safety Teams
4. Conducting Campus Safety Assessments
5. Crisis Communications
6. Crisis Response Planning for Campus and District Staff
7. Crisis Response for Paraprofessionals
8. Crisis Response for Students/Parents
9. Designing Seminars and Tabletop Exercises
10. Pandemic Planning for Schools w/COOP
11. Protecting School Events
12. RAIN Training
13. Threat Assessment
14. Tornado and Weather Emergencies
To schedule a campus safety assessment, have a crisis plan reviewed or register for the e-learning School Safety Academy call 972-576-8662 or email firstname.lastname@example.org